It took me longer than I wanted, but I finally finished the DREAMSHIP rewrite. 116 pages, which isn’t too bad. Now begins the editing phase, primarily of the second half. I managed to trim about 7 pages for the first half, and hope to cut at least 4-5 this time around.
It bothers me that it won’t be ready for the Nicholl, but I’ve accepted it and moved on.
I’m also exploring the idea of sending it to a couple of professional script analysis firms. One of them might be ScriptQuack, especially since this rewrite was based on their suggestions for the previous draft. I like the idea of getting some solid feedback, but I don’t know if I have it in me to go through another rewrite. I like the idea of doing what I can with this and moving on, since LUCY is still waiting.
There’s something that’s been gnawing away at me inside for the past few weeks. I’ve noticed a unique writing style in a lot of recent scripts I’ve read; a lot of it really good. My writing may not necessarily be as vivid as others, but it gets the point across. I try to use a little flair, but not enough so it distracts you from the story. I’d rather let the story do its job than wow you with fancy-schmancy writing.
I’m also hoping that once the editing/polishing is done to fine-tune the logline and start sending out query letters. I did this before using a hard copy of the HCD, sending out about 200 email queries. It got the script optioned, which unfortunately didn’t lead to anything. Maybe I’ll have better luck this time around.