The actual writing-of-pages for the current project may be underway, but wow did it take several attempts to get there.
A lot of it involved figuring out how to best set up the world in which the story takes place. I’d considered starting it one way, then thought “how about if…?”, which resulted in another way, naturally followed by “then again, I could try…”
At the time, I’d settled on the one I thought worked best. Feeling confident about the state of the outline, I started on pages.
Progress was slow, but steady. After a couple of days, I was already up to page 20.
Which of course was MUCH MORE than it should have been.
Not that I strictly adhere to the “THIS happens on Page ____”, but there was just too much going on, which was slowing things down a lot more than I’d intended.
What to do, what to do?
One option was to keep pushing forward and then go back and edit like crazy, but at the rate I was going, I’d end up with a script approximately 150 pages in length. Not an option.
Or I could go back to an earlier version of the outline that only includes part of what’s already there.
Yet another option was to go all the way back to how I initially envisioned the whole thing starting.
Quick side note – you know how they say the first page really sets the tone for the rest of the story? This is a guideline I’ve always tried to work with, especially in this case.
The first pass didn’t cut it, nor did the second one. Something needed to be done.
So I went through my extensive notes, hoping to find a solution.
And I found it. And it was the original idea. It had exactly what I needed, and I’ve seen variations of it in other scripts and films, so there was no reason I couldn’t make it work for my story.
I got to work reorganizing it and streamlining it to help things move along faster. This including having to jettison a majority of material I was very sorry to see go, but it was necessary. No reason some of those details couldn’t be implemented later on.
Oh, and another small detail I forgot to mention – my computer’s OS updated, which my screenwriting software hasn’t been adjusted for yet, so working with that became quite a pain. Luckily, some recent contest success resulted in me receiving another screenwriting program. After a quick installation and a few “how to” videos about using it, I was on my way yet again.
All of one page so far. But I like it better than the previous versions, and it’s significantly better than having no pages at all.
Let the pushing forward commence.