Time to take a little break from working on this outline. I got some really good notes back on DREAMSHIP from a highly recommended reader, and he did a great job of pointing out what works and what doesn’t. So the next couple of weeks will be devoted to making changes where necessary.
My initial thoughts were along the lines of “This is going to take FOREVER!” But taking another look at his comments, it might not be as big a hurdle as I thought. There are definitely some parts that need work, or at least a little creative tinkering, which I think I can handle.
And it probably goes without saying that the query letter stage is also on hold for the time being. For now, it’s all about making the script better.
After I sent him the script, I admit I succumbed to that short-lived fantasy of getting notes consisting of “This is terrific! Don’t change a thing!” Who hasn’t?
But I’m also realistic about this, so I was relieved he didn’t say “This sucks,” or words to that effect. When the first part of the summary reads “A lot of good stuff here,” that’s a sort of mini-vindication for my time and effort.
Part of me was dreading having to go through another rewrite or three, but there are countless stories of working writers having to churn out dozens of rewrites in order to make the script better, so if this is what I have to do to move things forward, so be it. The more I can do to hone my craft, the better.
Not gonna lie. There was a brief period of “woe is me”, complete with an air of melancholy, but I’m over it now.
Nobody said this was going to be easy. And it isn’t. And there’s no way I’m going to stop trying, either.